Women can accomplish any task that they put their mind to. However, in our patriarchal society, women have been exploited. Then again we have seen examples of a few brave women who have risen up the ranks of our society. There are, however, a few Indian womenfirsts, who are relatively unknown. This is an attempt to bring the achievements of these extraordinary women to light. Taking into consideration the contribution being made to each and every sphere of life in the country, it can be certainly contended that women are no less indispensable to society than men. A women’s role has changed tremendously and is making its greatest impact on our society today. Many years ago, women’s contribution to society was limited and controlled by men. Women are standing tall and are playing a major role in many important areas. Women’s role has changed at an accelerating rate and has the part in areas such as Politics, Professional Training Jobs, Medicine, Business and Law. Formerly they were not part of any political matter, but they have advanced in many aspects. For example, women have attained power and have been growing in political office.
Social barriers holding back women’s empowerment are the following:
- Because of the inherent superiority complex among the males, they often don’t allow their female counter-part to rise as high as them.
- High level of domestic responsibilities.
- Restrictions to participate in social, economic and religious activities.
- In our society, the boy-child often gets preference for education and healthy diet over the girl child.
- Preference for male-child still exists among many families in society.
The solutions for the empowerment of women include the following:
- Education through mass communication is very important. Both women and men should be made aware of their responsibilities to promote and practice gender-equality.
- Gather national data and identify the areas where instances of violence and gender inequality are the most. This data can be used by the government, NGOs and field workers to raise the status of women.
- The society should be made aware that both boy-child and girl-child are equal, and they both should have equal access to resources.
Thanks for reading.