Yam imam puspitam vacham pravadantya vipashcitah
Veda-vada-ratah partha nanyad astiti vadinah
Kamathmanah svarga-para janma-karma-phala-pradam
Kriya-visesa-bahulam bhogaisvarya-gatim prati
Vyavasayatmika buddhih samadhau na vidhiyate
“Arjun, those who are today involved and attached to worldly
pleasures; those who only see the results of the efforts and,
those who consider heaven alone as the most sought after final
destination; these mundane people use artificial and affected
language. They are the ones who indulge in hankering after
riches, comforts and pleasures and use various means and
methods to obtain these. They are absolutely attached with such actions and thoughts
and these blemishes overpower their minds. They do not possess
the decisive power to appreciate God, the Almighty.”
Most of our woes occur due to attachment with the transient worldly possessions. This happens due to lack of proper perspective in life. It can show up also due to envy with peers or others in the same space. The tendency is not to analyze to find out the correct reasons why we are left behind. Or, at times, there could be some inherent personality shortcomings which put a spanner in the wheel of our progress. Yoga of Bhagavd Gita can bring about total transformation in personal perceptions. Meditation on each shaloka can show us the path of true spirituality. The lesson of life that we learn helps to change or attitude to personal progress. Perpetual, persistent efforts to achieve our goals adds a meaning to our life. Progress of our enterprise enhances our self esteem. In a sense the wisdom of the great book of knowledge teaches us how to live a stress free life and be successful at the same time.
The rat race which is pervading among professionals, students and even among housewives is in fact the culprit. It is sad. But it is the reality which we have to accept and find a way to mitigate the ill effects. It’s totally wrong to think that material progress is not something that we should pursue. Growth of any enterprise depends on how we plan our enterprise. The professional help, focus and consistent efforts are all essential. In fact without perseverance, nothing worthwhile can ever be achieved. But when you are doing this, by no means it may be construed that you are attached to the material possessions and therefore you are making all these efforts. Far from it, it is your contribution to the development in the world. It is your dedication that the humanity at large will be thankful to you. The only caution is that the means should be fair. Intent should never be to progress at the cost of some other human beings The progress of society depends on the success of leaders. Individuals who go an extra mile to do something which eventually.
Read The Bhagavad Gita daily not as a part of your worship but with an objective of removing the personality glitches to achieve peace of mind and live life significantly.
My translation of the great book of management in English will be found very useful as the language used is very simple. Please go to Amazon and type ‘Satish Kakri’ to buy it. Wishing you all the best.
It’s difficult to conceive the vastness of the ocean. But it is even more difficult to imagine the vastness of the mind. Sea is often very calm only sometimes it is turbulent. While an ocean is turbulence only at some occasions, the mind is at peace on only sometime. The confusion of the mind primarily arises due to the contradictions experienced in the fast paced life today. There is nothing that we can do for turbulence of the ocean. We can certainly tame our mind to achieve calmness and peace.
In fact peace of mind requires only your focus and consistent reminders to yourself. It has no tangible cost. It’s free
Nature – what it does? When it does? It remains unknown to mankind. Though there is no doubt that extensive study of nature has given us the knowledge and power to predict.
But when we talk of mind it is our choice to train it to be at peace most of the time. We have to understand the difference between peace and bliss. Peace is not bliss but peace offers you an ability to get into state of bliss when you want.
At work place, if you are doing something that you don’t like to do yet you have to do it under compulsion, your mind cannot be at peace. When you are lost in your work and you know that the work is important for you, you are a peace with yourself. Further, if you enjoy your work then every milestone that you achieve will give you bliss. There are the number of Dos and Don’ts which help you to gain peace of mind.
First, let us enumerate the don’ts:
- Don’t get too much involved in reading the negative news. Our newspapers and electronic media are full these. You may scan through the headlines to be abreast with what is going on.
- Avoid spending too much time with people having negative attitude. Interaction with them will sink their negativity into your subconscious mind.
- Regard each person as an individual. They are entitled to hold their opinions. Do not be judgmental. Negative emotions like envy, jealousy, criticism of others will affect your peace of mind. So avoid these.
- Past is history. It does not have any significance except the lessons you have learnt. So don’t dwell on your past.
- Become friends with members of your family. Children are very intelligent today and they should be treated as friends. Likewise you should be friendly with your spouse.
- Your speech controls your relations with others including members of your family. Therefore use your words with care and discretion. The way you say something is as important as what you say.
- Don’t be too much attached with your possessions. Practice detachment. What we have today, we may not have tomorrow.
Now about the dos!
- Learn to focus your mind. Cut the clutter. On and average there comes as many as fifty thousand thoughts in one day. Try to reduce this number by focusing your mind.
- Practice meditation. It will help more than one can imagine.
- Cultivate a habit to enjoy only healthy food. Decide that you must eat slightly less than your hunger.
- Go on vacation periodically. The cycle of routine work needs to be broken as often as possible.
- Give yourself some quality time. Talk to yourself. Talk about what you like about you. And, further improve the same.
- Make it your habit to consider that challenges are your opportunities. When you face these challenges with success, it gives you happiness and your mind becomes peaceful.
Thanks for reading.