Nearly everyone has a bad habit that they should break. Some people have less than others and some people’s bad habits are more grating than those of others. Bad habits like excessive drinking, smoking, biting the fingernails, etc., starts slowly and gradually. They jeopardize your health — both physically and mentally thereby wasting your time and energy.
Bad habits are hard to give up, they are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out off. However, you can achieve anything with the right amount of willpower and a realistic plan of action. With persistence and right mind-sets, it’s possible to break your bad habits.
Here are some ideas for breaking your bad habits
1. Change one thing at a time
It is most important that you don’t try to break all your bad habits, at once. You’re not a superhuman and trying to quit all your bad habits at the same time is probably going to be hard to achieve. Instead, prioritize and choose the habit that you need to change most urgently and then focus on that accordingly.
2. Prepare for weak moments
A positive mindset is significant but if you’re not prepared for those weak moments this can be a biggest mistake. Try to remove temptations as that can help you prepare for those weak moments. For instance, clear the cupboards of junk food, keep some distance from friends who encourage you to smoke/ drink and avoid stressful situations.
3. Set regular reminders
Bad habits are often so deeply ingrained in us that sometimes they can catch us unexpectedly. To help prevent those accidental slip-ups, try setting yourself regular reminders to resist those bag habits.
4. Reward your success
The key to breaking bad habits is to make the process as rewarding and enjoyable, as possible. If you are facing difficulty focusing on the long-term benefits of breaking bad habits, then arrange small rewards for yourself as you go along to help keep you motivated.
5. Remind yourself why you’re breaking those habits
In order to successfully break a bad habit, you have to be sure of your reason for breaking those habits. Find a solid reason for breaking your habit that really means something to you – such as improving your health, relationship or appearance – and keep your goal in sight. This will help you to carry on and stay strong in moments of weakness.
10 habits you must quit to be happy
When you quit doing the bad things, you make more room for the things that make you happy. Aristotle, a great philosopher once said, “we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is not an act, but a habit”.
The 10 habits which one must quit are:
- Procrastination is the worst and most common habit that one must abandon. It doesn’t allow you to grow. It doesn’t allow you to perform your duty on time.
2. Respect yourself never underestimate your potential. You often criticise ourselves to the extent which is undesirable and totally uncalled for. If you respect ourselves then only others will respect us.
3. Oftentimes when we are not able to do our duty on time or somehow the work is done improperly & the results are unsatisfactory; even when this happens due to our fault we try to blame others. In this manner, we think that we have escaped responsibility but actually we loose because we don’t improve.
4. There are certain people or certain situations which are difficult to handle. We like to control. But these are uncontrollable. We should never try to change them instead we should try to rise above.
5. Unless you are asked to give your opinion you should never do that. The habit of criticising others or even advising others when advice is not called for is something which we must give up.
6. Change is inevitable. Everything which is earthly must change. It is necessary for us to adapt ourselves to the changed circumstances. If we resist change or if we try to avoid change that is the biggest mistake which we should never make.
7. Everyone has to face challenges. Difficulties are part of life. Instead of facing if you try to run away from them, that would not lead us anywhere. We shouldn’t do that.
8. Often we try to keep others. We try to show of which we are not. We feel shy of showing ourselves in our true nature. This indicates only low self-esteem and should always be avoided.
9. Living in the present moment is recommended by all. Yet it is seen that people keep on thinking about the past or they keep on worrying about the future. In the process they lose the opportunity to use the best time which is the present time. This habit should be given up.
10. The habit of complaining, the habit of thinking that fate has not done justice are again such habits which weaken us. These don’t allow us to exploit our full attention. These don’t allow us to use the most valuable resource that we all humans have which is TIME. It’s an unproductive bad habit. Give it up.
Thanks for reading